Thursday, June 22, 2006

Define "Excellent".

I had a conversation this morning that fit well with mdog's recent post on the overemphasis of romantic love and underemphasis of friendship.

Coworker*: How was your evening last night?

Me: It was pretty good. In fact, it was excellent.

Coworker: I'm not going to comment on that.

Me: Huh??

Coworker: Well, I know what
I was doing the night before when I say "last night was excellent".

Me: GAHH!!

Actually, I didn't say "GAHH!!" I surprise myself with how well I can control my emotional reactions and still have brain power to give a coherent answer. This is particularly useful in conversations with my parents. I really said, "I think we have different definitions of 'excellent'. For me, an excellent evening means good food, good friends, and good conversation."

Now I know my coworker* probably said that partly to rib me. I hope it's not the case that she really only has one possible sort of excellent evening. But I'm sure for some people I work* with, that is the case. I find that a little sad. For me there are MANY possible types of excellent evenings. Aside from time spent with friends (the best kind of excellent evenings, imo), I would also have an excellent evening reading a great book, seeing a great movie, or perhaps getting completely wrapped up in a great tv show season. Or finding some new and interesting place to ride my bike.

So anyway, I can never, ever use the word "excellent" at work again....



*I have two jobs. So whatever event/coworker you may think I'm referring to, you're wrong; it's actually an event/coworker from my
other job. And no, I don't see the resemblance between what I described and events/coworkers at the job you're thinking of. It's all in your head.

3 Comments:

At 12:32 PM, Blogger jared said...

I had an excellent evening last night as well. Strange coincidence. ;-) Maybe I'll think twice about saying that to coworkers. Me, think twice about saying something?! Okay, I might think once about it as it's leaving mouth.

 
At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

excellent.

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger paul said...

I was going to say that this was an excellent post [wink, wink]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home