The Goodness of God
I have been overwhelmed lately with God’s flagrant goodness towards me. My cup indeed runneth over. It’s almost odd—my life was going very well already, especially with my all important decision to finish my degree. That was a huge gift. And even though I’m not progressing as fast as I’d like to, I am progressing in my reading. Also, it seemed that socially my life was going well: I had good friends active in my life and also people that I am slowly getting to know better that I would like to become good friends.
Then, out of the blue, God apparently decides He hasn’t actually overwhelmed me with blessings lately, so He brings another good gift into my life. I guess this shouldn’t surprise me (the goodness of God, that is—probably my whole readership knows that the actually event surprised me very much), but it’s one thing to know something in theory, it’s completely different to experience it.
I think flagrant goodness is very much a part of God’s character. Not simply goodness, but excessive and outrageous goodness. Have you ever looked at the sky on a clear sunny day in the middle of summer? Doesn’t it seem excessively blue?? I don’t mean in a bad way, but in a wow, I’m amazed at the intense bright blueness of the sky. Then, of course, there are all those examples from the Bible (like the people Jesus healed) and from the lives of people we know.
I always try to imagine what it must have felt like, after living for one’s whole life as a cripple, being suddenly made whole. Instantly, it would be like stepping into an entirely new universe, but one lovingly familiar. You would love your friends more if you could walk (or run), unaided, to their houses. You would love your little thatched cottage more when you could enter and leave it on a mere whim. Eating could be an excessively joyful event if you could now use both hands, or sit up in a chair like everyone else, or even cook your own dinner. There is something truly fabulous about having very ordinary events become suddenly momentous and joyful.
I know that this shiny feeling is temporary, and that’s probably just as well. My friends can only be expected to endure my giddiness for so long. But I’m glad that for a little while at least, I can be overwhelmed with gratitude for God’s excessive and flagrant goodness.
Labels: reflections on life, spiritual reflections

7 Comments:
I should probably clarify that when I say this shiny feeling is temporary, I mean that bubbly happy feeling that causes every conversation I have to veer off in the same direction and will probably eventually greatly annoy my friends who probably have other things they wish to talk about. Human nature is such that we cannot sustain that sort of feeling, and it's probably just as well. We'd never manage to get anything done.
I expect the shiny feeling to be slowly replaced by quieter and deeper emotions.
A phrase I heard a while back that is probably becoming overused in Christian youth circles, but I think it still has value...
"God is good. All the time."
I don't know why I find myself surprised at His goodness. Do I expect less? I guess I do. I wonder why He wastes this goodness on me. Surely there must be someone more deserving? But that's just it. I don't deserve it; it's given freely without any strings attached. That's a part of heaven I'd like to see more of on earth.
Jared: I find myself thinking along those lines sometimes. I guess the thing to remember is that God's goodness is not a limited resource. In fact, it's probably the exact opposite: the more of it He gives away, the more of it that comes into existance. The good gift he gives to one person spills over into good gifts for others.
I believe all that, but in the back of my mind, there's still a little part of me bracing for the other shoe to drop. I know in time that part of me will relax, but for now it's still there. But I'm ignoring it. :)
I've never heard the phrase, "bracing for the other shoe to drop," so I looked it up. Very interesting.
Jared: hmmm...it appears by that definition, I'm using the phrase slightly incorrectly. They seem to define it simply as waiting for the expected to happen. I'm using more to mean bracing for something bad to happen, even if it's not actually very likely. And yeah, I said it wrong on purpose--it's supposed to be "waiting", not "bracing", but I liked the connotation of bracing better.
The bit about the origin of the phrase was interesting, though. So often those obscure origins to words and phrases are easily forgotten.
why don't you two just call each other!
jennifer said....
jared said....
Jennifer said...
jared said...
Jennifer said...
I have both of your phone numbers now in case you lost them. :O)
Paul, I'm rolling my eyes at you again. But if I should lose Jared's number, it's good to know I can call you ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home