Monday, July 31, 2006

A Nice Girl Would Never Make a Guy Squirm

Last night, while spending time with friends, one of them mentioned how he married his wife because he didn’t like nice girls. What followed was a highly amusing “argument” in which he tried to dig his way out of that hole “you know what I mean when I say I don’t like nice girls” while she pretended to misconstrue him, “are you saying you think I’m mean???”. I later found out that he asked the other two guys there if they liked nice girls while I was out of the room. Ahem. Gentlemen, would either of you like to clarify your answers?

Given the vagarities of the English language, even a phrase that we think we all understand well, like “nice girl”, can have several different meanings. I thought I’d take a bit of time to tease out these separate but possibly overlapping definitions. Then I may do a bit of misconstruction of my own. ;-)

The first kind of “nice girl” might be said to have no back-bone. She has no opinions but what the others around her have. She tries so hard to be pleasant and agreeable that she sacrifices the expression of her own personal identity (such as it is—she may not have a well-developed one) or even her own sense of what is right. This type of nice girl may be something of a hangover from past generations, when women, like children, were expected to be seen and not heard. The reason (I suppose) guys don’t like her is that she is a mirror, only able to reflect them, never able to show them a glimpse of something else. And every honest person is disgusted with himself at some point. This is not a girl that can challenge a guy to become a better person. She is, to put it bluntly, boring.

The second type of “nice girl” is the sort that would never kiss a guy on the first date. She is modest. She is never a sexual tease. In the context of Christianity, she is the sort to save sex for marriage. Need I explain why some guys might find this type of nice girl unattractive?

The third type of “nice girl” is good-natured and kind. She is the kind of girl that would rescue a turtle from imminent peril. She would also bake Snickerdoodles for those she cares about. She is patient with small children and animals. Ahem. Yeah, I see why this girl is so unappealing. I mean, who likes cookies anyway? I personally vow to never ever make Snickerdoodles ever again. Wouldn’t want to be mistaken for a nice girl. Also, next time I see a turtle in the middle of the highway, I’m letting that sucker get smashed. Sorry Yertle, but I have a reputation to think about.

Squirming in your seat yet? Yeah, you better be. (Don’t you just love equivocation, ladies? ;-)

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At 9:48 AM, Blogger jared said...

Subtle. Cute. And definitely not nice.

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about. ;-)

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger paul said...

You are not very nice for writing that...

Now... was that a complement?

Okay... Nice...

My primary meaning was #1. I think we all knew that. Some men actually like this... I would argue because they are insecure and can't stand the thought that their spouse is smarter than they are. Which is true, btw. My wife is WAY smarter than me... and that is one of the reasons I married her. I want a wife I can "spar with," who has a thought of her own, and is not afraid to express it. Opinions (when stated nicely) are sexy.

#2. I would like to expand your definition a bit.

Yes, in the context of singleness... save sex for marriage is good. But (to be blunt) after marriage, quite honestly, I don't want to be married to my sister. I don't just want a roommate. My wife is my best friend, but she is also my lover. And that is really important to me. Maybe it's not to all guys, but I don't think it's wrong for a Christian man to want that. And yes, I kind of like it when my wife is a sexual tease.

#3. Yes, I want this kind of nice. I think it is so cool when my wife rescues a turtle. And she can make me cookies anytime! (I prefer chocolate chip)

But be clear... what I WAS saying is that a woman defined only by #3, without 1 and 2... I'm just not interested.

Make sense?

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Paul: Well, I'm working on not being nice. My next plan is to start keying cars and engage in other acts of vandalism. You know, like mowing other people's lawns quite badly.

Yes, what you say does make sense. That's pretty much what I thought you meant last night. And as far as my definition #2 goes, yeah, I was entirely thinking of it in the context of singleness. This post wasn't so much directed at you as at someone else who conveniently can't quite remember exactly what he said when asked if he liked nice girls....

But I appreciate that you continually state why you love your wife and why you married her. I think couples don't always say those things to single people enough. It's good to hear, though.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger paul said...

that was a nice answer.

and to be honest... that person didn't make a clear statment. but I think he agreed with me. He always agrees with me. :)

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I think that person should try very hard to remember what he said, clear or not. And I'm not sure whether agreeing with you is always a good thing, Paul. ;-)

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger jared said...

I think he may have said something like, "where's the adventure in dating a nice girl?" He explains himself better here.

And I disagree that I always agree with Paul. Although us guys do need to stand up for each other.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

You did well, Jared.

 
At 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This whole thread sounds rather like descriptions I give of movies to people that are about to see something I've already seen...

"you will totally FALL off your chair when the guy does that thing, and then the other guy says that line to the girl and she totally runs away with the guy... no a different guy, I think; and then they say that stuff about the one person who you think is another person... Oh just go see it."

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Velk: welcome to my blog! Yeah, I suppose this post was a bit insider-ish, but it had plenty in it that was not oh-you-had-to-be-there. :) I'll try to remember I (apparently) have a wider audience than two people.

Oh wait...I forgot I'm supposed to be mean now. Crap. Nothing's coming to me. I reserve the right to insult you in a future post, okay? ;-)

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger paul said...

there is a big difference between being mean and being not "nice." Men don't want mean... but they don't want a "nice" girl. Does that make sense?

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Paul: of course that makes sense! I’ve just been having fun purposely conflating my first and third definitions of “nice girl”. I’ve been taking you and Jared to mean “not good natured and kind” when you say like girls who are not nice. I know perfectly well you both actually mean “not passive and vapid” or something along those lines. The best part of understanding the rules of logical argument is abusing them for humor, and I’ve been getting a lot of mileage out of the fallacy of equivocation. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home