Bike Lust
I am currently in the throes of bike lust, and I’m afraid it’s affecting my judgment.
Here’s the situation:
Over the winter, I unwisely rode my bike in very crappy weather, presumably getting salt on the chain and gears. I did not do the maintenance I should have done afterwards, and although the bike is still rideable, it is clearly nearing the end of its useful life, without having to replace the gears, which would easily cost twice what I paid for the bike 3 years ago.
Also, my company will likely move across town this summer, which means my commute will go from 4.3 at the shortest to at least 8 miles. Most of this will be flat, but it will still take longer, at least in the mornings (in the afternoons I usually take a hilly scenic way home that is 6.7 miles, so 8 miles mostly flat might be the same time-wise).
Between these two factors, I need a new bike. A faster bike. Preferably one that can double as a mountain bike, because I think I will find that sport more enjoyable on a bike that fits and is familiar to me.
I have fallen in love with this bike. Its color, geometry, and component parts are great for the price--except for one thing: the shocks don’t lock out. This is a feature that would allow me to more easily use this bike on roads, where shocks can actually slow down a rider, particularly when climbing hills.
Because of the lack of a lock-out, I’m not sure the bike will meet my needs. I plan on taking it for a spin on some hilly back roads tomorrow, so that should help me make a more informed decision, or make me fall more deeply and irreversibly in love with its beautiful minty green color.
But if this bike doesn’t work out for me, I don’t know what to try next. A more expensive bike or more expensive shocks on this bike don’t seem like financially wise decisions, but I definitely need a new bike soon, and there aren’t that many women specific mountain bikes from which to choose.
Labels: cycling

3 Comments:
I'd get the best bike you can possibly get now. It will last longer as you become a more serious (not that you aren't now) rider.
There is a huge difference between the components on the 4500 WSD and the 6500 WSD bike.
You might check out Specialized and Cannondale as well, or look at a steel frame as a way to cut your costs down and make a more comfortable commuting bike.
i biked to Nelsonville today.
life is good.
Paul: I'm impressed that you biked to Nelsonville again. You've already biked further on a single ride than I have this year (my longest so far is about a 10 mile ride).
Post a Comment
<< Home