Remember That Episode From "The Office"?
I just got out of a meeting whose purpose was to explain some new forms which had been developed to help more efficiently organize some official documentation we have.
They were. . . .tables of content. Yep. Six different variations on tables of content. The meeting lasted nearly an hour. We went into very great detail on these forms. It was explained how they worked. You know, they give a short reference with a page number that points to where the full information is located. There were examples of these forms filled out. With real page numbers referenced. Then we were asked if we thought this was a good idea.
Now it is possible that I’m oversimplifying the meeting a bit, and I might have zoned out a little and missed some important details, but yeah, that’s a summary of the meeting.
Makes you feel a bit better about your own job, doesn’t it?
Labels: work

4 Comments:
Ah! Yeah. It's just we're putting new coversheets on all the TPS reports before they go out now. So if you could go ahead and try to remember to do that from now on, that'd be great. All right!
And... ah... yea... I'm going to need to come in on Saturday....
Actually, all jobs have elements of that... so no... it doesn't make me feel all that much better. Got to go.... have to do my year-end reports (I'm serious).
Paul: It's March!
Jennifer: I just had a committee redesign an event invitation without me in the room and send me a list of "suggestions" that would double the cost, double the production time and half it's effectiveness at getting people to actually attend the event. Did I mention they're in a hurry and have no money to pay for it?
Yeah, I know everyone has some of this in their jobs.....it's not so much that the meeting was boring or even that it didn't really apply to me--what struck me is that they were treating a form of organization that has doubtless existed for hundreds of years as if it was a new idea.
I kept thinking "you mean, we don't do this already?"
I think the real purpose of the meeting was to serve as a dry run for future training session on these new-fangled "tables of content".
Post a Comment
<< Home