Spring Break Trip: Overview
I’ve been reflecting on my trip to
When my sister and I were growing up, my parents thought it was important to have what they called “educational” vacations. So they didn’t take us to beach and let us play in the sand for a week. They wanted us to learn things. Specifically, they wanted us to see the largest tract of American soil they could drive through in a given two week period.
In other words, we didn’t drive out to the
Because of this, I have been to every state in the lower 48, except for the three states on the West Coast (though in many cases, we simply crossed a border, but didn’t really explore the state). For this first hand knowledge of of our country I am extremely grateful to my parents, though at the time I thought of the trips as gruelingly long and boring. A sort of suburban family
Note to parents/future parents: when your kids are old enough, involve them in planning vacations. Encourage them to research the places you plan to visit. Make it their trip too.
Anyway, traveling as an adult is 100 times more enjoyable, even when it’s only a long weekend trip to
Although I’ve traveled as an adult on a number of occasions, this was the first trip that recalled the sense of wandering adventure from my childhood vacations. It was not simply a rush to get from point A to point B, but a journey that was meant to be enjoyed. Jared and I could stop anywhere along the road, as our whimsy took us (like, for instance, if we saw a sign for the World’s Largest Cheeto--which happens to be in Iowa, but unfortunately not in the right part of the state, so alas, we did not see it).
Three days makes for a rather whirlwind and brief adventure. We only had a few scattered hours in each of the cities we stopped in, but we definitely made the most of our time.
To keep this trip chronicle a bit more readable, I’m breaking it down by city and spreading it out over a few days. So stay tuned for my musings on
Labels: travel

8 Comments:
If I had known we were only four hours from the World's Largest Chee-to, I would have driven there and insisted in having our picture taken with it.
hard to believe you missed that opportunity. wow.
Jennifer, my RSS feed is going crazy with your blog? Are you publishing over and over?
Well, I just went to the site to see a picture of the "World's Largest Cheeto" and I have to say, I am quite disappointed. I was expecting something the size of a human. I was expecting to be wow-ed!
Come on.. we can do better!
http://www.wlra.us/
Jared: I am SOOO eternally grateful to God that you did not know about the World's largest Cheeto being 4 hours from Iowa City.
In fact, it's safe to say that had you attempted to take me there, you would have instigated our first fight. It would have been amusing to tell people we fought over the World's Largest Cheeto. ;o)
Paul: I discovered labels and have spent my afternoon break labeling all of my posts. It's been fun. I guess that made your RSS feed go crazy? Sorry about that.
And yes, I agree completely: the Cheeto is extremely disappointing. I thought about mentioning the Giant Cornstalk in Iowa , but as Jared has a special fondness for Cheetos, I went with that :o)
Now THAT is an attraction worth driving to see!
ah... yea.
Being such fans of odd things... I'm betting you know of the giant cornfield in Columbus? Yea, you are driving through the city, take a turn, and there you have, in the middle of the city, this giant corn field.
http://ludb.clui.org/ex/i/OH1784/
I did NOT know about the giant corn field in Dublin. Thanks, Paul. :o) Now my life is complete.
Hmmm...the caption notes that Columbus has one of the highest downtown vacancy rates in the nation....think that has to do with the fact that no one wants to put a business next to a field of giant cement corn?
How corny.
Post a Comment
<< Home