Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Running in the Rain

Nine weeks after swearing I would never, ever take up running, and five weeks after my inaugural run at the Ridges, I completed my first 2.2 mile loop without having to stop and walk. It was a perfect evening for a run: rainy and so much cooler than it has been. The company could not have been more encouraging, either. I’m feeling pretty good about this. While I can’t say I actually enjoy running very much, I enjoy the noticeable improvements I see each week, I enjoy the company, and I am fairly certain that in time I will come to love this sport.

Jared was definitely right: new running shoes fit more perfectly after taking them out in the rain. Though I was already extremely happy with mine—I’ve never had a truly good pair of running shoes before this, and I am definitely appreciating the difference.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the only thing better than running in the rain, is running in the rain at night

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger jared said...

Bryan: That's something I'm going to have to try.

Jennifer: Great job on your first consecutive 2.2 miles. A good pair of shoes makes everything better, especially the rain.

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

bd: welcome! Now I too want to try running in the rain at night....

Jared: thanks :-) Your encouragement made all the difference--especially up the first hill. I wanted to stop and walk about half way up it.

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger paul said...

was someone chasing you with a gun? why were you running again?

I missed biking. Glad I'm back.

 
At 5:42 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Paul: good question. I never did state why I took up running. Well, ostensibly it was because I suck biking up steep hills, and after watching Jared practically sprint to the top of a few big hills, I thought perhaps there was something to be said for running providing good cardiovascular endurance.

Also, running is a more convenient form of exercise--if I go visit my parents or go on vacation, I don't have to bring my bike with me in order to get a good workout. I just need my running shoes.

Plus, my best friend cj and I have been toying with the idea of doing a triathalon. She's a runner. I'm a swimmer. We both bike. If I don't want to collapse halfway through the running portion of the tri, I'd probably better work on running.

And the thought of seeing Jared every Monday was certainly not unappealing....

So I thought I'd give it a try. Once a week didn't seem like too much of a commitment. No gun was necessary.

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger jared said...

I'm glad the thought of seeing me every Monday is not unappealing. I don't mind seeing you either. ;-)

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Jared: my understatements just sound bad when you take them literally. I wouldn't want people to think I was a mean girl or something.... ;-)


Would it be better if I just stated plainly that as much as I wanted to improve my fitness level (and I truly do--the better I am at an activity, the more I enjoy it), the real motivating reason that got me to try a sport that I have always disliked was that I would get to see you one more day a week?

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Goodness...my deleted comment looks ominous now. I really just thought of something else I wanted to add to my comment that would fit better within the existing comment, so I deleted it to add a line. Didn't think about the fact that blogger would keep a record of deleted comments....ah well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home