Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Best.Quote.Ever: Media Via

I found this while looking for information reading the life of Dorothy L. Sayers:

"What a shame that she did not convert C S Lewis and his friends to motor-cycling. I can see them now, cruising down the road seven abreast, at the sacred speed of 153 miles per hour [a reference to numerological speculations about John 21:11], shrieking their dreaded war-cry of Media Via! They might have permanently altered the history of Anglicanism."

[Note: Media Via means "the middle of the road." Via Media means "the middle road." The latter, but occasionally the former, has been used by various writers to describe the Anglican communion, avoiding on the one hand the errors of Roman Catholicism and on the other the opposite errors of radical Protestantism.]

--The comment in question was made after noting that in her late twenties, Sayers fell in love with and had a child with a man who road a motorcycle. I’m not sure about the motorcycle gang part, though. I’ve never heard that bit before, and I wonder if his description of that atmosphere is exaggerated.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 7:30 PM, Blogger Heidi said...

Very nice. Also very hard to imagine Dorothy Sayers on a motorcycle. Do you like Lord Peter?

 
At 6:32 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I adore Lord Peter. I've read all Sayer's mystery novels and short stories, plus the two Patricia Walsh did.

And you're right, kamelda: the image I have of Sayers in my mind is her towards the end of her life--when she's stout and imposing--and it is very hard to think of that woman on a motorcycle (though I realize it was a much younger Sayers who road around with Bill White).

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger jared said...

I tried to find a picture of C.S. Lewis I could composite onto a motorcycle, but he apparently didn't have his picture taken much.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

That would have been have been hilarious, Jared. I suppose all you need for that is a headshot--you can superimpose that on someone else's body.

I'd hate to think of what Lewis would make of photoshop--even without the threat of someone putting him on a motorcycle. ;o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home