Friday, May 11, 2007

Blue Streak

So I finally bought The Bike.

Between better gearing, lighter components, and thinner, larger tires, my bike is now a speed demon. I’ve shaved at least 4 minutes off my evening commute.
I also started using clipless pedals. I absolutely love them.

They give me more control over the bike, as well as a significant power boost. For those who aren’t familiar with them, your shoes quite literally attach to the pedals, so you can pull up on the pedals as well as push down. But you have to clip out a foot in order to completely stop, because, well, you’re clipped in to the pedals.

I’ve only fallen once.

Last Sunday, I went out on my new bike with Jared. If you’ve never biked to church before, I highly recommend it. Very fun. In fact, it was a previous such biking-to-church experience that contributed to Jared becoming interested in me.

On my old bike, Jared could easily beat me up hills and down. His bike had superior gearing and was lighter. Plus, he had clipless and I did not. This time, however, it was him eating my dust up the hills and down rolling hills. He still kills me on steep hills (I brake--he doesn’t) and he can still out sprint me, but I can often outpace him sitting down.

As much as I’d like to pretend that my new found ability to pass Jared going up a hill is pure skill; in reality, it’s the bike--mine has better gearing and faster tires than his mountain bike.

I was really hesitant to buy this bike because of the price, even though I knew I’d use it a lot. So what really sealed the deal for me was biking to work one morning and seeing gas was $3.19.

Yeah, I feel pretty good.

And I have a pretty bike. :o)

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 3:45 PM, Blogger paul said...

no competition between you two. :O)

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger jared said...

We NEVER compete, especially not on hills, or fast straighaways or wicked twisting trails. NEVER.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Absolutely not. We also never compete at Euchre. ;O)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home